dRock's Panther Platform Horsepower and Torque Rating Page
All of this info is directly from brochures and owner's manuals from Ford.
All 1992+ panthers have a 4.6l engine. Town Car first recieved the 4.6l for 1991 model year.
The 2003-2004 Marauder uses a 4.6l DOHC (4v), all others are the 4.6l SOHC (2v)
For panther platform cars:
|Year||Panther Model||nPI/PI (4.6l SOHC)||Exhaust||TQ & HP|
|-'91||CV/GMQ/TC *Exc. '91 TC||5.0l||single||270lb-ft 150hp|
|-'91||CV/GMQ/TC *Exc. '91 TC||5.0l||dual||280lb-ft 160hp|
|'98-'99||**Town Car (only) ||nPI||single|| 280lb-ft 205hp|
|'98-'99||**Town Car (only) ||nPI||dual||290 lb-ft 220hp|
|'03-'04||Marauder||4.6 DOHC/4V ||dual||318lb-ft 302hp|
- 1992+ Crown Victoria / Grand Marquis and 1991+ Town Car use the 4.6l SOHC engine, sucessor to the 5.0l (and 5.8l certain models) engine
- '92 ('91 TC) -'95 models use an all-aluminum Intake manifold
- '96+ Use a composite (Dupont Zytel) intake manifold. Keeping the nPI port design the '96- manifold increased engine torque output and reduced manifold heat-soak.
- '98+ Use an electric primary fan (years prior were mechanical), which creates less drag on FEAD
- '98+ models have a Coil-On-Plug ignition system, though the electric fan upgrade and slight engine tuning enhancement are more responsible for the slight power increase.
- '01+ Panthers use a PI (Performance Improved) engine - featuring better flowing heads and intake, revised camshafts and increased piston dish. The PI engine moved the power band higher and peak torque was reduced. PI improvements first appeared on '99 Mustang and Truck modular engines.
- '03+ Panthers make use of an engine Knock sensor (98-99 T.C. as well), which allows for more agressive igniton timing with less chance of pre-detonation/spark-knock.
- '04+ CVPI (only) use a revised airbox w/ 80mm MAF, based off of 03-04 Marauder airbox, improving inlet airflow. This brought the power output of the 4.6l 2v to it's highest yet in our platform, 250hp (just 10hp shy of '99-'04 Mustang GTs)
**Excluding vehicles produced for sale in CA,NY, MA, CN
Email me at
Page last updated: 2-10-2008